Friday, June 26, 2009

Bullies

I think I am being bullied. And not by just one person either. I know that there are ways to take care of that sort of thing, but I don't think either of the following fall under those rules/laws. I am so mad and hurt. I don't know if I want to scream, hit something, or just sit down and cry.

First off, today is the last day of summer school. I know, I should be happy. I am happy about that. Paychecks for summer school were handed out today. That is where I am having the difficulty.

I do not receive a paycheck for being at summer school. I am apparently the only person at summer school who does not get paid. I found out yesterday afternoon that the janitor who comes in everyday after summer school to take out trash and clean bathrooms gets a check. But not the nurse. I deal with bloody noses, skinned knees, scraped toes, banged heads and a whole bunch of other things. And I don't get paid. I don't get a 'thank you'. I don't get anything.

What makes it worse is the fact that even the student helpers get something.

When I began working here, I was hired in January. I was asked if I would work during summer school that year since I was hired in late. I agreed. No big deal. Ever since then, I have been expected to show up. For no pay.

In 2007, I called several schools to find out what their school nurses did for summer school. I took that info to the superintendent and was told that if I wanted to be paid like a teacher, then I needed to get my teaching certificate. He told me that I made more than a nurse from another school district and that is why I don't get paid for summer school. He told me that if I did not show up during summer school, then he would hold my June, July and August paychecks and I wouldn't get paid all summer.

What kind of bull is that? I'll tell you what kind. He knows that I am not just working here for the fun of working here. He knows that in order for my family to survive, I have to have those paychecks. So, he knows that he has me where he wants me. A free employee for 4 weeks.

I can't call his bluff. I need the checks. When I was hired, I was asked if I wanted my pay split over the 9 months we were in school, or over 12 months so that I got a check each month. I (of course) chose the 12 checks. I mean, really! Who would want to try to set back money out of those 9 checks that would equal what 3 checks would be to try to make it through the summer?!

Because I made that decision, I am paying for it. Or should I say, not being payed for it.

What to do about it? The way the world is right now, I couldn't find another job like this. I wouldn't want to work for another school because being off when The Boy is off was one of the main purposes for accepting this position.

This man has told me that I am "the lowest person employed here." And, according to who received pay, I guess I am also lower than the students who volunteered to help.

Moving on.....

Talked to The Boy last night. He sounded sad again. Said that he was doing "nothing." I asked if that meant he was just laying on his back looking up at the ceiling and he said, "No, I'm not laying on my back." He told me that he was "bored." Of course, he wouldn't admit that he was ready to come home. But if it continues this way, he is going to start to shut down. When that happens, it is going to be absolutely no fun at all getting him back when he gets home.

That makes it difficult for me also because I allowed him to go. I know in my heart that he should be coming home, but nobody else (read that as his father) is going to pay attention to my heart and my thoughts concerning The Boy. I tried to explain to his father before sending The Boy off that 2 weeks is about his limit on being away from mom and home. He wouldn't listen. I am hoping this situation gets better....soon.

I won't be posting everyday for a while. Because school is out after today, I don't have access to the internet every single day. I do have posts scheduled for the next couple of Fridays. Other than those, I will just have to get to the internet when I am able to do so. This has been really helpful for me to type out what is on my mind. It has really gotten me through the always difficult month of June.

I guess if those who read these posts want to hang with me, I will try to post as often as possible. If you don't want to hang around, I understand. It is hard to follow someone who isn't always there, huh? It is fine. Just know that I appreciate anyone who checks in to see what kind of mess is going on with me. And, I will be back as soon as the internet and I have a way to connect with each other!


No comments:

Post a Comment