Monday, February 22, 2010

Un Happy Birthday

Saturday was both mine and my grandpa's birthday.  Thank you to Cheryl and Carolee for the birthday wishes.  I appreciate them!

Just so you know, I am going to complain.  Yep.  I am.  My birthday, my right.
Last Tuesday, one of the teachers had a birthday here at school.  Another teacher (who happens to be a fabulous cook) brought in a big pan of brownies to celebrate.  Silly me felt left out when there was nothing brought in to celebrate my birthday.  Maybe if my birthday had been on a weekday?

Then, my Crazy Man called my grandmother to tell her that it would really mean a lot to me if she and my grandpa (whose birthday it also was) would go out to eat fish like we have done the past several years.  She told Crazy Man that Grandpa wouldn't want to go.  I don't think she even mentioned it to him.  My parents and in-laws ended up going to eat fish with me and Crazy Man.  The Boy stayed with Little Little Brother at Big Little Brother's house because he is allergic to fish and didn't want to go if he couldn't eat anything they had.  The fish tasted wonderful, but not nearly as good as it would have been if my grandparents had been there too.

On Saturday morning (my actual birthday) I woke up to Crazy Man telling me happy birthday.  He then ended up getting a phone call to tell him that he could use the tractor for an hour, so he needed to come and get it.

I know that doesn't make any sense, so this is the explanation for that.  On Wednesday, a guy that Crazy Man knows was to bring by a 15 ton load of gravel to drop on the lane up to the city house.  This lane has just turned to mushy mud with all of the rain/snow/icky weather and we were hoping that this would do some good.  The guy told him that he would bring it and spread it, just like he had done in the past.

When we showed up to look at it that evening, it had been brought and dumped, but not spread.  The worst part was that the guy had spread about 10 feet worth, but then just dumped the rest of it in 4 different piles.  We couldn't even get a vehicle up to the house!  Crazy Man called and told the guy who then said that if Crazy Man and his father couldn't get it all spread by hand, to let him know and he would bring the tractor over to spread it.

Do you know how long it takes two men to hand move 15 tons of rock?!  Yeah, well, neither do I because they gave up after about 4 hours.  Crazy Man called the guy who said that he would bring the tractor over to spread it all out on Saturday morning.

And now, here it was Saturday morning and he is calling Crazy Man to tell him "you can come get the tractor, but you can only use it for an hour because I need it back for another job."  Let me tell you....I was a bit ticked off.  He did nothing that he said he was going to do other than bring the rock.

So, Crazy Man and his dad left to go get the tractor.  That was at about 10 am.  They were finally able to get everything spread out and the tractor returned and them home about 1:30.

Once he cleaned up a little, we needed to get something to eat.  Now I know you have seen those commercials advertising that you get a free Grand Slam Breakfast at Denny's on your birthday, right?  Yeah, so had I.  We happen to have a Denny's in town, so that is where we headed.

Crazy Man and I each ordered the Grand Slam Breakfast, and The Boy had a hamburger and fries.  When it was time to pay, Crazy Man grabbed the bill and off to the register we went.

I told the girl that it was my birthday and she asked to see some ID.  I showed her my license and she took off $2 on the bill.  I asked her if I got a free breakfast or not.  She told me that she would have to go talk to the manager.

When she came back, she told me that I could have had the free breakfast if I had ordered the original grand slam, but since I ordered a build your own, then she was only allowed to take off $2.

I know.  Didn't make sense to me either.  Crazy Man said to not worry about it and she rang it all up.  That meal for the three of us ended up costing $22.50.  Not bad for a free meal, huh?!

When we went out to leave, I noticed a big sign in the window advertising the free meal.  I stood there and read every single word on it and nowhere did it say the word original.  I went to the truck and asked for the receipt but was told it was no big deal.  I insisted by saying, "this is my birthday and if I want to pitch a fit I will.  They promise a free meal and I want my free meal."

I went back in and asked for the manager.  She told me that it was only for the original.  I told her that there is nothing in the advertisements that say that.  She then told me that "it is in the fine print."  I told her that I stood outside her restaurant and read all of the fine print, but still nothing with the word original to be found.

I told her that all I wanted was what was promised.  She finally found my ticket and told me that she would fix it.  She ended up giving me my free meal and our drinks for free.  She must have done more than that though, because when she finally presented me with the final bill, it came to a grand total of $6.50!  She said that the initial bill was incorrect to begin with.

So, three hours later, we are at my grandparent's house to have supper with the whole family.  The bad part about this was that even though it was partially my birthday supper too, there was not much I would eat.  And they knew it when they were deciding what to make earlier in the week.  Luckily, Crazy Man discovered this and his mom ended up making a rotisserie chicken that she brought, knowing that I would at least eat some of that.

She also made a carrot cake with cream cheese icing from scratch because they were also not having any type of dessert that I liked either.  Yeah.  Nice, huh?

I did get some nice gifts though.  My grandparents gave me some money.  My parents got me a couple of cookbooks that were neat.  (Not that I can cook, but I do like to look at them and wish that I could make things in them!)  My in-laws got me a gift card to Barnes & Noble plus some Bath & Bodyworks hand soap and some blackberry jam. (Crazy combination, but great nonetheless!)  Crazy Man and The Boy got me a new stereo system for the car since mine has decided to keep my CDs for itself.  Now they have to get the right parts to get it installed and take apart the old one to rescue my six CDs.

All in all, I am glad this birthday is over.  It didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.  But at least we all lived through it and it is done.  Maybe next year will be better.  Hopefully anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment