Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Mad and Glad

Is it really too much to ask for a simple "thank you"?  I have always thought that those two little words could make a person's day or break their heart.  I try really hard to make sure that I speak those words when someone does something for me.  No matter how big or little.

Did you load the dishwasher?  Thank you.

Did you empty the basket of laundry that I just don't have the energy to fold?  Thank you bunches!

Did you bring me a warm blanket while I was so sick in the hospital?  Thank you.

Are you the one who finally got an iv started in me when I was sick?  Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Are you going to let me stay at your home while we visit your area?  Thanks.

See.  Nobody has to do what they do.  It is a choice.  And if we don't give them the thanks for doing it, then why would they want to make the choice to help you out again the next time?

Think about it.  Don't you appreciate when you do something that is your choice and you get a thank you?  Doesn't that make you feel like they appreciated your help?  And, most of the time, you will consider doing something for that person again, right?

Last October, my mom bought some material to make a baby blanket.  She had just recently found out that a girl in her office was pregnant and the material was on sale.  She found what she wanted and paid for it.

I asked her if she wanted me to take it home to make the blanket or if she was planning on doing it.  She told me that it would be a while before the shower, so she thought she would be able to handle it.  Great.

Skip ahead to last Thursday.  My mom calls me to tell me that the baby shower was going to be Tuesday (today) and says she never got the blanket done.  She asked if I would make it for her.  I told her that I would.

Yesterday after school, I put the material on the tables here at school/work and spent an hour getting the blanket done.  I dropped it off on my way home. My parents were not home from work yet, so I left it in the bag hanging on one of the kitchen chairs.

I have not heard from her yet.  How hard is it to call and say "hey thanks, it turned out nice" or "that thing is pretty ugly, but thanks anyway for taking the time to do that" or even "thanks, I found it here"? 

Evidently I am expecting too much.  After all, family doesn't require thanks, right?  Maybe not, but it is still nice to hear.  Aren't they the ones who taught me as a child to always say thank you?

I know that I have taught my son to have manners.  Please and thank you are major words in his vocabulary.  Matter of fact, I have been told that he is very polite.  How would I have been able to teach him this if I hadn't been taught?

And, I guess some would argue that a parent doesn't have to thank their child for doing whatever.  But, I don't agree with that either.  You can't teach your child how important those words are if you never use them.

There are plenty of people out there in the world who feel that kids don't have the respect and manners that they used to have.  How can they when they aren't being taught?  Or at least the teachings aren't being followed by the parents?

I am probably making too big a deal out of all of this.  I have been told recently that I blow tiny little things out of proportion.  And, according to them, this is one of those times.  But, dog-gone it.....I am crabby lately and this just irritates me!

shortmamaswap

One thing that isn't irritating me right now is that I have decided to join in on some swapping fun.  Around Christmas time last year, I joined in on a Secret Santa in the bloggy world.  That was a bunch of fun.  Now, I have found that Short Mama is having a spring time swap.

Maybe that will make me happy again!  Being able to gather things that I enjoy for spring and send them to someone else?  At least that is how I understand that is the way we do this....  If so, then I have three weeks to gather my items and send them along to whoever Short Mama hooks me up with.

I read about this last week, but couldn't decide if I wanted to join in or not.  After thinking all about it and coming up with a couple of ideas, I decided to spring forward with it!  Plus, the bonus is that I will be getting a package also! And I love mail!

If you want to join in, and you know you do, then just spring into action and link up.  But hurry...you only have until tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment